The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in UNEP, Headquarters, Nairobi –Corporate Services Division, Administration Unit. The Unit coordinates and facilitates Facilities Management, Procurement, Risk Management and Travel.
The duration of the internship is for a minimum of three and a maximum of six months. The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35-40 hours) under the direct supervision of the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Officer – in close collaboration with the Head of Administration – and supports the planning, designing and implementation of an overall risk management process for UNEP.
The position, which has clearly defined output requirements, includes – but is not limited to – the following responsibilities:
Provide support to ERM Officer in:
• designing and implementing a –qualitative and quantitative – research methodology, including surveys among staff members worldwide;
• conducting interviews with the Executive Office, Directors and MEA Directors;
• organizing research and validation workshops with staff and senior management;
• attending and summarizing meetings.
• the design of a tailored UNEP: -Risk Universe and Catalogue, – Risk Dashboard, -Residual Risk Heat Map, – Reference Maturity Model (RMM), -Internal Control Statement, and other tools and visualizations senior management deems necessary;
• the determination of scoring criteria for the measurement of Impact, Likelihood and Level of Internal Control Effectiveness, and Organizational Risk Appetite;
• the draft – and implementation of – a detailed Risk Treatment and Response plan defined for the top-ten risks identified as a priority.
Further responsibilities include:
• risk reporting in an appropriate way for different audiences i.e. Leadership Group, Executive Office and Directors;
• assisting the ERM Officer on external risk reporting to stakeholders;
• assisting Divisions, Regional Offices and Multi-Lateral Environmental Agreements in risk evaluation;
• providing administrative support on an as-needed basis.