Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with the UN Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The internship is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of each office. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background, the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
– Assist in drafting and preparing background documents, reports, issue briefs, talking points, articles, presentations etc.
– Attend and summarize conferences and meetings.
– Support organization of meetings and conferences, side events to strengthen strategic engagement with UN system partners.
– Assist in data collection of disaster risk reduction practices.
– Conduct research and provide analysis of relevant disaster risk reduction and sustainable development issues.
– Support research on risk knowledge and analysis on DRR-related topics.
– Assist in maintaining databases.
– Support the review of key publications.
– Support the work on Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction, Sendai Framework Monitoring, Words into Action, Making Cities Resilient, International Day for Disaster Reduction, World Tsunami Awareness Day etc.
– Assist in preparing training and learning events and other capacity-building initiatives for Disaster Risk Reduction.